Can chickens and rabbits go into the run together?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Willow's Meadow, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Could I let my chickens and my rabbit go into the run together? Or should I have seperate run areas? The chickens run is pretty big....woudl it be hard to catch the rabbit when its tiem to come in?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Well lots of people don't - I'm going to try it to see if it works. remember rabbits dig! You will need flooring, my rabbits will be staying in the coop/pen/run... they will have their own area in it and not be able to get to the chicken dove food. ... they will have plenty of toys their own water and areas to hide in. the coop/run will be preditor proof 12 foot * 20 foot with 8 foot *12 foot covered roost in both areas.

3. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Yes if they get along and you want to risk loosing the bun to digging out and potentially letting a predator in. My rabbits I swear had hundreds of feet of underground tunnels dug.

4. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    This topic comes up a lot-I'm sure if you can search for it you'll find plenty of old threads on the topic.

I would not keep my rabbits with my chickens. Most of the people here who've been breeding rabbits for years wouldn't, either.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i too would not let me rabbit house with my chickens. theres the different food issues, which would be my top concern.
    good luck. [​IMG]

6. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    There's also the can chickens be in with rabbit waste and vise verse question

7. ellend

ellend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    cleveland, ohio
    Rabbits dig & tunnel under fences--predators can easily gain access.

Chickens peck at shiny things. Rabbits eyes are shiny.

That said, we did bunk our rabbit with one bantam hen. That rabbit was a female, and they can be QUITE feisty. The rabbit did totally destroy the grass in the 6x20 pen, though, with her "mine tailings,"--she moved MOUNTAINS of dirt and cinders on a continual basis.

8. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    It works out just fine if we are talking about small numbers in a generous size enclosure.

9. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I tried it once. The darn rabbit ate all the feathers off my chickens' backs.

10. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    Old post I know, but I couldn't help but add my experience.

I kept Rabbits with alot of breeds of Chickens in the past & I think it's wonderful to do...If & only if you have wire under your runs of no more then 1"x2", I buried 1"x1" PVC coated wire about 9" to a foot down.

Feather eatting is due to a lack of something in the Rabbits diet (all my feather eatting stop within days of adding a mineral block) But mine did eat feathers off the coop floor. They also enjoy eatting the Chickens food, using hanging feeders or feeders raised to roost levle helped me. The Chickens also enjoy eatting the Rabbits food, So added a box around a run of the mill Dog feeder with a 6"x 4" hole in it & a 6" shelf in front of that hole. The combo of the Rabbits having to sneak under the shelf & then pushing open the feeder door was something the Chickens didn't find worth their time & plus the shelf helpt to blind the Chickens from seeing the Rabbits eat so they really didn't give it much thought.

The plan for the feeder looked alittle like this (thrown together in under 2 mins. So I'm sorry, but atleast you now have an idea)

The box I put arong the feeder:
    [​IMG]

& the dog feeder looked like this:
    [​IMG]

When I get back into the animals again I will be going back to keeping Rabbits with the Chickens, it is what works best for me & my critters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by