Can chickens eat grapes?

Is it safe to feed the whole grape?

• Yes

Votes: 20 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
They'd better be okay. My chief rooster's already leaping up nearly three feet to pull down all he can reach of this year's grape bounty for his girls. They're nowhere near ripe, but they're already eating them anyway.

I'll second the interest in elderberries. Safe, but might make their poop turn interesting colours. They're also currently cleaning up all the little overripe kiwis falling on the ground under the kiwi vines. (The hardy type whose vines come in either male or female form.)

Question for those of you who were worried about feeding seeded grapes to chickens: Is this maybe because of the concern about feeding grapes to dogs? Just wondering where it comes from...

Hi all,

I was wondering if grapes are safe for chickens to eat. Can they have the whole thing? Or do you need to take out the seeds? etc.

Thanks!

Cluckmecoop7
If you want to see "Chicken Keep-Away", just toss in a grape! One gets it, runs with it held high to a safe place to eat it, but another chicken grabs it when the first one drops it to peck it apart! The entertainment from one grape can last quite a while!

If you want to see "Chicken Keep-Away", just toss in a grape! One gets it, runs with it held high to a safe place to eat it, but another chicken grabs it when the first one drops it to peck it apart! The entertainment from one grape can last quite a while!

Lol! I do see that a lot.

Hi all,

I was wondering if grapes are safe for chickens to eat. Can they have the whole thing? Or do you need to take out the seeds? etc.

Thanks!

Cluckmecoop7
I freeze black seedless grapes in the summer and give those to the hens. It is a nice cool snack. They seem to love them. Of course they are weird- they don't eat earthworms and absolutely will not eat corn on the cob- but scarf it up if I take it off the cob.

Chickens eat everything, except the snake I killed. LOL They just looked at it like "Nope, not touching that!"

I throw tomatoes over the garden fence and they tear them up. Old cherry tomatoes and they pick them up and run. They love june as its Mulberry season and they race from the coop when let out to the Mulberry tree. Now its Hackberries on the ground, honeysuckle bush berries and russian olives when they can reach them.

Back
Top Bottom