can chickens eat millet?....

I buy a variety of bulk grains at the local food co-op and share them with our birds most mornings. They seem to be entertained by scratching at and eating any millet, amaranth, quinoa, red wheat berries, BOSS, flax seeds, steel-cut oats, and whatever else I throw their way - all uncooked. Right now, they're just waiting for the snow to melt off so they can get back up to their chicken antics.

Worms can pass on parasites, but I figure every other organism they get their beaks on can as well (for example, slugs).

Last edited:
Does the millet have to cooked or uncooked? / I have hulled millet from Sprouts.

Thanks,
Denise

Last edited:
Does the millet have to cooked or uncooked? / I have hulled millet from Sprouts.

Thanks,
Denise

I would say soak them and let them start sprouting. This starts changing them and makes them more nutritionally available for your birds. That's what I would do.

Did you guys know that worms can kill your chickens if you give them to many their actually poison to them if they eat to many just facts I used to buy worms for my smaller chickens until I found that out

Has anyone ever bought wild bird food and fed to chickens looks like more protein then most scratch feed anyone know?

My scratch grains don't contain seeds, only grains, like barley, rye, wheat and cracked corn. Some people feed black oil sunflower seeds/BOSS, millet and Milo. I do not.
GC

Last edited:
Did you guys know that worms can kill your chickens if you give them to many their actually poison to them if they eat to many just facts I used to buy worms for my smaller chickens until I found that out

They aren't poison; they are hosts to some parasites. If you're birds free range at all it's likely they are sitting up and eating plenty on their own.

Just be sure the millet you feed is not a bird resistant variety. If it is your chickens won't eat it. I don't know but I think that any millet (a form of grain sorghum) intended for human consumption will not be a bird resistant or bird repellant variety.
I think you are referring to milo, which is grain sorghum and for which bird-resistant varieties exist. Millet is different.

Back
Top Bottom