Can chickens eat potatoe salad?

bulldog-girl

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Estacada, OR
Got a tub of potatoe salad and no one likes it. Store bought variety. I was wondering if I could feed it to the hens in small quantities? It has mayo, eggs and spices. It is not organic or anything so I am sure it has some preservatives in it. I hate to throw it out.

that should be fine..but i would not give the whole container in one feeding

yes you can, and they will LOVE you for it!...
big_smile.png
maybe try to break up some of the bigger pieces of potato though, because if they are like mine, they will try to swallow a whole potato piece....and they could maybe choke. just yesterday i had to pull a piece of tomato out of one of my hens mouth..she had half stuffed down her throat and the rest was hanging out of her mouth....little piggies!
roll.png

one thing to consider is that potatoes are a food succeptible to food poisening
potatoe salad is the dish that causes the food poisening at picnics - it goes bad very quickly in room temp conditions.

I feed my chickens everything - meat, cheese (a favorite!) spoiled jams, yogurt etc from frig cleanup... leftover all - take home every food item from restaurants...they gobble it up and seem happy and a bit spoiled...have had not problems for 3 years so far.
have I just been lucky?

Chickens can eat just about everything :D they love potato salad like nothing else. I share with them a lot

Just don't feed chicks spaghetti!!!

got a momma with four new chicks, tossed some plate scrapings to her before heading to the main coop, after cleaning and watering the flock went back to feed the rabbits and noticed one of the babies was kinda walking funny, momma was calling it trying to get it to come to her, scooped it up and to my horror it had a noodle sticking out of its mouth...Gently pulled it and it was about 1/2 inch long!!! Poor thing was suffocating! Once it was out it starting chirping like crazy lol... Never feed chicks noodles!!!

Back
Top Bottom