Can chickens eat rabbit feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GracefulBantams, Sep 12, 2011.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I was just blessed with three bags of rabbit food (150 pounds worth). The problem is, I do not have rabbits anymore. Is this feed significantly different from poultry feed, or can I integrate some into my chickens' diet without causing a problem?

2. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i have heard that chickens grow a lot better with goat feed so it would be ok to feed them rabbit feed [​IMG]

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I can't imagine that this would be a good idea. Rabbits are herbivores (complete vegetarians) with a low protein and calcium requirement. Chickens are, well, the opposite. You could use the rabbit pellets as bedding inside the coop, but I sure wouldn't use it as food.

4. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    It has alot of alfalfa in it which is good for them mix it with your regular feed & feed it that way. & yes goat feed works good for me.

5. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

You might want to just check with the make up of the feed see what % of things it has in it and if it's low in protein you could give your chix some BOSS to get the protein up.

6. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the replies! And if I do feed it to them, I would just add some in to their regular feed, so they will definitely not be on rabbit feed only.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I mix a little bit of rabbit food with the regular chicken feed from time to time.

8. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Somebody gave me rabbit feed as well, and my girls don't like it at all. Won't touch it. That settles it for me!

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It should be mostly alfalfa which is good for chickens.

I'll be surprised if your chickens will eat it. My geese won't and the ducks will only eat alfalfa pellets if I soak them first.

Maybe you can find someone who raises rabbits that would trade you a dressed frozen rabbit for the bags of rabbit feed. The pellets can also be fed to horses, cattle, and goats, so lots of barter possibilities.

10. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Protien levels are virtually the same, however the rabbit foods normally lack teh vitamins that poultry food does and is usually lower in fat %

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by