1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens eat Stink Bugs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nittanyxi, Oct 11, 2010.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Well, the subject pretty much says it. there are brown stink bugs all over the place here. Is it ok for chickens to eat them?

2. Lilacfeather

Lilacfeather Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    I sure hope so, because I'm hoping they can provide a little population control. They're everywhere!

3. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I threw one to my girls yesterday and it was gone in a flash...so far, so good.

4. birdsNbeesNseeds

birdsNbeesNseeds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    CAN they?

Well, I'd say that's likely.

WILL they?

Mine won't touch them if anything else to eat is around. They would take a nice moth first choice any day.

5. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Mine have been eating them up thank goodness.

6. dogdollar

dogdollar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Yes, but it gives them bad breath.

DD

7. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I am so happy to hear that. I did not know of anything that would kill them or eat them

8. Hunterlauren93

Hunterlauren93 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Forest
    I catch stink bugs and freeze dry them or also known as roasting. They love them. I live in Virginia, and we have a TONNN not as much as last year tho. They are all over our corn plants. When my chickens were little they use to chase them around one would have it in ones mouth, then the other one would get it Very funny

9. CaroleW

CaroleW Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I give them all the stink bugs i find and all the baby stink bugs- they love them and I've noticed no ill effects.

10. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    My girls turned their beaks up and declined when I offered them stinkbugs. I wish they would, as we have too many of the stinkers in our garden!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by