Can chickens eat woodbine berries?

I found some wild woodbine growing around my property and was wondering if my hens could eat their berries?
If by "woodbine" you mean Virginia Creeper, the berries are high in oxalic acid, which is a problem for us, but doesn't seem to be a problem for birds. Your little dinosaurs will be fine.

If by "woodbine", you mean one of the honeysuckles, yes, your chickens can eat those berries too.

If you mean clematis, I don't recall it having berries. and if you mean Jessamine, you should rip it out for other reasons - the chickens will avoid it, but it can be hard on a number of other species of critter (particularly pollinators), and is an attractive nuissance to children. Its pretty, thouhg!

and all that said, I've found consistently that chickens generally WILL NOT eat harmful quanities of things which are very bad for them in the short term, assuming they have other choices. For instance, I have both bracken fern and soda apple on my property - both of which are potentially toxic to chickens. They won't touch either, but they have a choice. If I put them in a chicken tractor and set them on top of a patch with nothing else to eat... likely dfiffering outcome.

Back
Top Bottom