Can chickens get the hic-ups??

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sonew123, Oct 18, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I let my troops out this am and always watch them for a while, just visiting. My one 3 month old Standard black cochin started this "thing" I swear it was hic-ups-not sneezing. Her whole body moved when she did it? Is that possible? Ive never heard or have seen one do this before??

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My Lilith hiccuped (or the chicken equivalent of one) alot when she was younger. She grew out of it. She also sneezed alot as a chick. Any dust at all or eating too fast and she would sneeze. That's something else she grew out of, although she does still sneeze if she eats too fast.

3. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes chickens hiccup. It looks like crowing with no sound, and it goes about every five seconds or so.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Thank goodness! I kept thinking my girl had a serious problem!! thanks guys :)

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I had no idea!

6. tasymo

tasymo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    One of my Barred Rocks, Harriette, hiccups quite often. The first time I noticed it, she keep doing it for quite a long time and was starting to get irritated! She sounds like a squeaky dog toy when she does it. I haven't heard her get an extended case of the hiccups since then, but she still has isolated ones from time to time.

7. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I thought so too when I first saw it! I thought she was having breathing problems and was going to soon have violent seizures resulting in death. Phew! [​IMG] We should have this in the FAQ section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by