Can chickens have coconut?

JNorth

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Western New York
My daughter wanted to try a fresh coconut today. Turns out, she's not a fan.

Any reason I can't give a half to the chickens? It's still got the hard outer shell.

Last edited:
I don't know....I just know that it's not that good for them
hu.gif

I tried to look online and didn't find much either way. Although I did come across some mentions of it in some types of chicken feed. I set a half in the run... at first they didn't really know what to make of it. So, I threw a few black berries (which they LOVE) in the center, once they got a taste of it they really liked it. It's rich though and soon enough they walked away. I took it out so they didn't get too much.

Two hundred forty Leghorn pullets were used in a 168-day 5 × 2 factorial arrangement to study the effects of 0, 10, 20, 30 or 40% coconut meal and 0 to 10% coconut oil to layer diet on rate of production, efficiency, body weight, egg weight, egg fat level and fatty acid composition of egg fat. With 0% added oil, coconut meal increased rate of egg production, with this rate reaching a peak when 20% meal was added. Coconut oil also increased rate of production and efficiency. Within each oil level group, feed efficiency was directly related to production rate. Birds receiving oil gained 136 gms. per bird while those fed no oil lost 79 gms. Within each oil level group, weight gain was inversely related to the level of coconut meal fed. Egg weight was depressed by feeding coconut meal and increased by coconut oil. Fat content of the egg was not significantly altered by treatment but adding oil increased the level of lauric (C12:0) and myristic (C14:0) acids and decreased the level of stearic (C18:0), oleic (C18:1) and linoleic (C18:2) acids in the fat.

Hmmm...

I know this thread is pretty old and dead, but in case someone stumbles upon it (as i did) and is looking for accurate advice....

Yes! Chickens absolutely can have coconut! We feed fresh coconut meat from our own trees whenever we have the opportunity. When we have a large amount we will crack open a few daily and offer it on the "half shell" free choice--they get as much as they will eat, basically. It is in fact quite good for them, and I and other local farmers have noted (anecdotally) that it has a very positive effect on egg production. Fresh Coconut has a lot of high quality fat (something most poultry rations dont) as well as some carbs, a little protein, and important trace minerals. And, if you have access to coco trees, its free feed!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hmmm...

I know this thread is pretty old and dead, but in case someone stumbles upon it (as i did) and is looking for accurate advice....

Yes! Chickens absolutely can have coconut! We feed fresh coconut meat from our own trees whenever we have the opportunity. When we have a large amount we will crack open a few daily and offer it on the "half shell" free choice--they get as much as they will eat, basically. It is in fact quite good for them, and I and other local farmers have noted (anecdotally) that it has a very positive effect on egg production. Fresh Coconut has a lot of high quality fat (something most poultry rations dont) as well as some carbs, a little protein, and important trace minerals. And, if you have access to coco trees, its free feed!

Cheers!
Thank you for posting this.....I can't believe anyone would say that coconut oil isn't good for chickens or ANYTHING else for that matter! Lol....So, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom