1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens have this stuff?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MsChickenMomma, Dec 7, 2012.

1. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    When my my mom makes chicken broth, she uses onions peels and ends, leeks, carrot peels, garlic, and celery. And we were wondering if the chickens can have those things when the broth is done. Our big concern is the onions and garlic. We know they can have the celery and carrots, but we are unsure about the rest.

My mom makes chicken broth about once every two weeks, so they wouldn't get this stuff that often. Is it okay for them to have? We haven't given it to them yet, because we wanted to make sure it's alright for them to have.

Thanks everyone! :D

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    They will be fine eating all of that! Garlic is actually good for them! It can help repel biting insects. Though if they get too much I hear it can flavor the eggs. :lol:

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Might want to watch for long stringiness in the leeks and celery. Could potentially be a crop impaction hazard.

Imp

5. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Alright thank you! We will make sure it's all cut up good before we give it to them. :)

6. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    I have read onions are bad! but then other people give it to them so......[​IMG]

7. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

They are another one that can potentially flavor eggs. Otherwise, I don't know what would be 'bad' about them.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I also make broth and feed my birds all my leftovers. My birds never eat the onion and I'm not sure if they eat the garlic or not. I've never had eggs flavored bad from what the birds eat, and I've fed them a lot of fish at times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by