Can chickens learn tricks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by QuackerOats, May 14, 2010.

1. QuackerOats

QuackerOats Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Has anyone had any success in teaching their chickens tricks? I was wondering whether it was possible, as I would like to teach my chickens some... if its at all possible. [​IMG]

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    Definitely. Do some research on clicker training. Chickens are excellent at it.

I use tiny pieces of grape for treats.

3. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

You've never seen the piano playing chickens? Classic chicken trick. They learn pretty fast for how stupid a lot of people think they are.

4. QuackerOats

QuackerOats Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Nope, I've never seen the piano playing chicken! I'll search it on youtube. I think I will give some tricks a try then! [​IMG]

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    They sure can!

6. dchickenman

dchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    My 11-year-old daughter wants her favorite chicken (a Gold Comet pullet named "Mystery") to sit on her shoulder while she walks around the yard. How would we accomplish that? Treats, I guess?

7. NitaAZ

NitaAZ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Dog trainers often go to "chicken camp" where they learn to clicker train chickens. They some darn complex behaviors and chains from the chickens!

My chickens are only trained to come running when I yell "Here chickie, chickie!" Then they look like little dinosaurs on the attack!

8. chickenlittle1980

chickenlittle1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    Spot is target trained.... she comes a running when I pick it up and tell her to come.... I am working on geting her up the A frame. My dog friends think I am joking about it.........
    BTW i named her spot cause she thinks she is one of my dogs.....

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Like someone said dog trainers go to camps to practice their training on chickens:

10. paris_r

paris_r Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Nolanville TX
    well there are learned unusual behaviours and then there are tricks. My 5 month old D'uccle roo 'tuffy' will ride in the car-on the dash unless its too hot sitting there, then he jumps on my arm and sits on it while I drive. (not the shoulder, he falls off that) I have taught him to stay with me when I walk around, but the only true trick that I ask for by command is "Sit". Its mostly so he wont slide off the dash when i accelerate, but we practice it outside of the car....now I have to work on 'Dont poop'..that will be a hard one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by