Can chickens survive sub zero temperatures?

True but if they're sheltered temps really don't matter much either.
Temp inside the shelter is all that matters and depending on the shelter that can vary quite a bit or little to none compared to actual temps.
This place has blown up with temp threads and I've been reading them all but finding little useful info.
Can imagine what newbies are feeling. All these t posts where people are saying birds are doing fine in -40° temps are very misleading. I can't imagine any living for extended periods of those temps.
When people are saying such and such temps but in well ventilated coops that doesn't help much. Wish they would include actual temps where the birds are.
I don't have lockable coops and/or runs for the majority of mine and they don't stay in the shelters on their own. They are out and about so actual temps and wind chills apply here and I'm also dealing with leghorns which aren't cold hardy and prone to frostbite.
A lot of variables going on and a lot of these posts are misleading about temps the birds are actually living in.
Come on spring time.

Assuming your chickens normally share the coop w/o behavioral problems, and there are no major changes (like a rat moving into the coop), If the chickens are willingly going out in the weather, its not a problem for them, for all that we imagine it otherwise.

Key is a coop that is well ventilated, dry, and draft free. No drafts, "wind chill" isn't a factor. Internal temp of the coop and outside ambient air temp are typically within a couple degrees of each other in a well ventilated coop - because warm moist air generated by the respiration of your dinosaurs is being replaced by dry cold air from outside. Indeed, its that warm moist air, when its allowed to freeze that causes the frost that's so dangerous.

Keep 'em fed, make sure they have a source of non frozen water. Then trust, but verify. Bundle yourself up, and check on them more often.

and if the coop isn't dry, then you have wet, potentially muddy, feet as another frostbite target.

Assuming your chickens normally share the coop w/o behavioral problems, and there are no major changes (like a rat moving into the coop), If the chickens are willingly going out in the weather, its not a problem for them, for all that we imagine it otherwise.

Key is a coop that is well ventilated, dry, and draft free. No drafts, "wind chill" isn't a factor. Internal temp of the coop and outside ambient air temp are typically within a couple degrees of each other in a well ventilated coop - because warm moist air generated by the respiration of your dinosaurs is being replaced by dry cold air from outside. Indeed, its that warm moist air, when its allowed to freeze that causes the frost that's so dangerous.

Keep 'em fed, make sure they have a source of non frozen water. Then trust, but verify. Bundle yourself up, and check on them more often.

and if the coop isn't dry, then you have wet, potentially muddy, feet as another frostbite target.

Thank you, but I posted this thread is 2018. :)

It's good advice for this winter too, though. Thanks for reviving it, @U_Stormcrow. Even with heated water buckets, it got so cold for so long here in SE. MO that our chickens' water was freezing and we had to knock the ice out several times a day. My BJG has HUGE wattles and I'm worried they may be damaged: he certainly has suffered damage to his large comb. Fortunately, he is my only BJG, my EEs and BA all seem to be okay. I feel bad for him though, he's a great guy.

Back
Top Bottom