can chickens swim

Motherof4

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Millbrook al
My son just asked me if chickens can swim? I have an above ground pool and we are wanting to know if a chicken fly's into the water will it swim or do we have a new problem to think about?

No, though if they're close to the edge and it's not too high they'll fly/lunge out. One of mine fell into the septic when we were having it pumped last summer
sickbyc.gif
and she made it out before I could rescue her--Thank goodness, 'cause I wasn't looking forward to grabbing a hold of her!

Chickens can swim, but it can only last a few minutes give or take until the oil washes off i believe. I remember seeing a barred rock in a in ground pool swimming around while people sprayed him with the water hose. It proved they can swim, but caused some trouble on the forum due to the people angry about it due to cruelty. It's on youtube if you wanna try to look it up?

-Daniel.

Last edited:
A neighbor of mine uses an old porcelian over steel bathtub for watering animals such as goats, sheep, etc.

When he is out-of-town, I sometimes feed his critters.

One of his chickens apparently flew into the tub.

I found it dead drowned the following morning.

NOPE. Chickens ain't made for swimmin'.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

a chicken might be able to flop and lurch enough to get to an edge and then crawl or jump out of something like a pond. a swimming pool or deep tall sided water trough...no they will struggle till they eventualy drown.

Back
Top Bottom