Can chicks be runts?

Euphillia

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Colorado(near a big city)
I have 2 barred rock chicks that are about 3 weeks old now and 2 easter eggers I believe. Anyways, one of my barred rock chicks is seriously not growing at the rate as the other 3. Probably about half the size actually. She seems to be eating the same as the others, very active and otherwise no issues.

Can there be runts? She's not being picked on by the others(yet)

Our two buff Orps where the exact same size when they were two days old, but one lagged behind the other. At five weeks one was only about 1/2 the size of the other and 1/4 the size of our Wellsummer or Marans. The "runt", Henny Penny, was (and still is) the most "energetic", active and bossy chick in the flock.

They are about 10 weeks old now and Henny Penny just slightly smaller than the other Buff. It seems to me that as long as the chicks are eating, healthy and active this is all we really can do.

Last edited:
I have one tiny SF in a group of 5. They're all 2x it's size and they're hatchmates! "Squirt" has normal body functions and eats well, so I guess it's ok. I'm more concerned about it getting hurt by the others stampeding around the brooder box...

I have a SLW that is just starting to feather at 5 weeks old, the other SLW and GLW both are feathered and are quite a bit bigger. The little one is very active and seem very healthy and freindly I hope it's not a ROO.

i have 2 bantam cochin chicks and 1 ameraucana/bantam cochin mix chick, they are all at 8 weeks of age. 1 of my bantam chicks is very small. his egg was just smaller than the others, but he is about 2/3 the size of the others. he is the only male of the three. i guess chickens can be runts. as a bantam, i don't think he will weigh more than a couple of lbs.
here is a pic of him when he was 3 days old. he is sooo cute. <3

Back
Top Bottom