Can chukars do ok by themselves, with no mates or others?

LamarshFish

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 26, 2015
I had a pair of chukars, one hen and one cock, for 3.5 years now, but unfortunately my hen passed today. My rooster seems stressed, pacing around the cage and a bit stirred up. I don't want her passing to be the end of him. I'm sort of at a loss of what to do. Buying more is not an option, as we simply wanted to care for these two until it came their time, and then end the whole chukar thing.

I am wondering if he will do ok for the rest of his time by himself? My one option was to place his coop next to a chicken coop and buy two chickens. They would be separated, since chukars don't do well with other birds, but they would be next to each other and have company.

Another option I could exercise is putting them in with quail that I could raise. I wonder whether one male chukar could do ok with 6-10 bobs or coturnix?

Any insight?

Both options are not good.Chickens pass diseases they can handle but will kill gamebirds.The chukar will also kill all the quail,they are not friendly birds at al.Some may seem to be okay,but you'll visit your pen and all that will be left is the chukar.Your best bet is to get him another hen or find him a new home.If you choose to get him a hen that will creat another proplem as you can not just put another bird into"his" pen,he will surely kill all new comers,yes even a hen.So you would need to put the hen in a pen and add him in few days later and still keep an eye on them.
In N.H.,Tony.

Both options are not good.Chickens pass diseases they can handle but will kill gamebirds.The chukar will also kill all the quail,they are not friendly birds at al.Some may seem to be okay,but you'll visit your pen and all that will be left is the chukar.Your best bet is to get him another hen or find him a new home.If you choose to get him a hen that will creat another proplem as you can not just put another bird into"his" pen,he will surely kill all new comers,yes even a hen.So you would need to put the hen in a pen and add him in few days later and still keep an eye on them.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thanks. He seems to have settled down. I really don't want to get another chukar since I was really just trying to care for these fellas until their end came, and then get out of the chukar game and get some nice egg laying chickens. The chukars were fun though, I like the noises they make, and they're definitely cool looking, especially their little ninja turtle eye bands. They also remind me of Israel, where I've spent a lot of time, and I'd always see them running around in the desert sitting in packs together, or running around rows in wine vineyards out there eating grapes and crapping on everything.

Back
Top Bottom