can coturnix quail stay outside during ohio winters?

Quote:
Still wondering what thrust means?

THE COLDER IT GETS THE HARDER THEY..... UH NEVERMIND
smile.png

LOL I BELIEVE THAT WAS A TYPO AND JOE MEANT TO TYPE DIE OF THIRST FROM NOT BEING ABLE TO GET WATER

yuckyuck.gif

I have mine outside in their pen with straw. Usually they dig under it and covey up. Haven't lost one yet not even Hops my handycapped one she's doing just fine out there. Also I have clear plastic covering the sides from the wind/rain/snow and they have a box to get into but they prefer to get into the hollow log with straw fluffed up.

The problem is getting to their eggs before they freeze!! GAH! One of the common double yolkers froze a day ago.

AC

Actually, coturnix can thrust themselves to death but that's another story.
big_smile.png

Sorry for the typo, and I understand the confusion
wink.png

I did mean thirst to death. Just make sure they have plenty of unfrozen/liquid water to drink when it drops below 30 deg.F.

Yes Attack Chicken, them little eggs seam to freeze faster than water, and I'm getting a lot of double yolkers as well. I blame that on the weather, as well as aging stock. Spring will solve the freezing problem, and I will deal with the older stock then as well.

yes...it was -18 here the other night and they did just fine. I have a clear plastic over their cages and switch their water bottles out every day for unthawed ones. Haven't lost a single bird in the winter in 2 yrs.

Quote:
Actually the 8 that I have aren't even a year old yet
hu.gif
I thought I only had one male but my Tux one has been chasing the other around.. Not sure! Haven't heard him crow if it is.

Getting double yolkers like 1-2 every week now sure if it's the same bird laying it or not.

AC

Quote:
Actually the 8 that I have aren't even a year old yet
hu.gif
I thought I only had one male but my Tux one has been chasing the other around.. Not sure! Haven't heard him crow if it is.

Getting double yolkers like 1-2 every week now sure if it's the same bird laying it or not.

AC

Must be the weather then. Either way, spring should be the solution. I'll revisit it then.

Back
Top Bottom