can different geese create mules???

I heard there is a maxima strain where the Canadas can weigh 18-22lbs but I don't know of anyone who breeds them. I would like to get a hold of some of those. Most of the ones you see here in Iowa are 9-14lbs. It is hard to find true maxima giants. The Canada geese have such a wide genetic pool as far as sub family species go. It is hard to even tell them apart. I've heard of cacklers, eastern and maximas but was told there are more like 10 or 12 kind of Canadians.
I don't know if these are the maxima? https://www.strombergschickens.com/...-Honker-Gosling/Wild-Canadian-Honker-Goslings

There are between 11 and 13 subspecies of Canada geese, however most are not distinguishable because they can all inter-breed but they range from the Cackling Canada goose to the Giant Canada goose.

I would like to weigh a couple of my ganders but the beating I would suffer from trying is sufficient deterrent. Per Wikipedia the largest ever recorded wild goose is 24 lbs.

I'm with you on the interbreeding, seems to happen a lot over here on the west coast.

Just realized...btwhitaker can you put up one of your pictures of the hybrid clutch from your other thread on this one?

So would an American Buff gander and a Chinese goose produce mule geese?
Nope! But they would produce adorable little goslings.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC @Poultry4Life

Last edited:
I did find a study not long ago that suggested that some males will still be fertile that are swan goose x Canada goose hybrids but females are always sterile.

Back
Top Bottom