Can domesticated chickens survive if released into the wild?

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
Same old sob story... lost two of my chickens and of course they had to be the one's I like the most. I've been playing different scenarios in my head all day and I'm still completely puzzled... and bummed. Maybe this is just wishful thinking but I live in the woods and there's always the chance they got out of my yard and couldn't find their way back in. I live next to a regional park they could have wandered into, and if they made it there they would be in complete new surroundings, wouldn't know which way was home. Is there a chance my girls are just chilling in the woods together somewhere? I suspect they are probably dead. I've accepted the odds of them ever returning are one in a thousand. Has anyone ever had chickens show up on their porch one day? dumped by some family who got tired of them. I guess I'm just trying to see if they even have a chance in the wild or if being domesticated has killed that chance.

I guess I just wish I knew what happened. No signs of trauma or anything. I feel my rooster would have sacrificed himself if presented with danger. We also have very few hawks.. highly wooded area. Sightings are rare.

I've had 2 different chickens show up in my yard at different times. One of them stayed with my birds and the other one stayed the night and then wandered off the next day(maybe went back home?)
I think some chickens are better at surviving on their own than others. What kind of chickens were they?

my black sex-link, Oprah and one of my Rhode Island reds I would call the 3 musketeers. Guess I'll need to come up with a new name for the two remainders. Oh well, I guess on the positive side I can pick up some new breeds as replacements in the Spring.

Back
Top Bottom