Can dominent hen be pecked on or molt at 8 months old?

mich17mak

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2023
Hello, I am a new chicken owner and I have 5 hens. They are about 8-8.5 months old, and my 2 Black Copper Marans are at the top of the pecking order. I noticed the other day that they both have small bald spots on their backs under their wings. It's not noticeable unless you examine them, but you would notice the ends of their back feathers look raggedy instead of rounded. The most dominant hen (pictured below) has the most baldness and some of it has what looks like scabs (pictured) and also hair-like things that I think are filoplume feathers.
I have witnessed my Wyandotte eating others' feathers. I am wondering if my 2 dominant hens would allow the Wyandotte to pluck their feathers out? I don't think they are molting as they are laying regularly and only 8 months old. What is causing this baldness? I have a run bigger than recommended dimensions and they also go out into another run I have. There's not much grass to scratch at now, but I do give them garden and kitchen scraps and other things to keep them occupied. I also am mixing in some higher protein feed with their normal feed. I'm not sure how else to help them not eat feathers or pick on each other. I bought pinless blinders, but hadn't put them on yet as that's a last resort. Can this be molting or will the dominent hens let another pick their feathers? Should I be worried about the scabs (I assume if it's not bleeding then it should be okay as I don't want blood attracting pecking)? I've checked them for mites and don't see any signs of it. They have healthy looking vents and combs (and poop) - they look pretty healthy besides the small bald spots. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20231116_164308.jpg
    20231116_164308.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20231116_165838_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231116_165838_Gallery.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231116_164448.jpg
    20231116_164448.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 8
It's feather pecking not a molt, there too young to be molting again to there adult feathers. Don't give them scraps and if there not laying remove the layer feed. Just provide high protein feed only.

Feather eating is a protein deficiency.

It's feather pecking not a molt, there too young to be molting again to there adult feathers. Don't give them scraps and if there not laying remove the layer feed. Just provide high protein feed only.

Feather eating is a protein deficiency.
So the most dominent hen will allow the others to peck her feathers out? Just wanting to learn more. Also, what's wrong with giving them scraps from the garden/kitchen? I'm giving them only vegetables scraps (nothing like bread or non-nutricious stuff). They are all laying very frequently.

Back
Top Bottom