Can dried out mealworms turn into a beetle?

beb444

Chirping
Nov 16, 2015
Northern CA
So my mom is convinced that even though the mealworms are dried out they can still turn into beetles... Is that true? They are store bought.

They are dead, they can't come back to life, hibernation and suspended animation, probably, freeze dried never.

They are dead, they can't come back to life, hibernation and suspended animation, probably, freeze dried never.

Haha that's what I was telling her but she was going to make me throw out the bag until I proved to her that other people thought so too! She thought that even though they were dead they still somehow had larva inside that was able to turn into beetles. I kept telling her that she didn't get it and that people would never buy it, but maybe now she'll listen.

Last edited:
Tell her that you can save a lot of money by growing your own! BUT, you'll have to start with live meal worms. You can get them from the refrigerator case where ever they sell such things for fishermen!

Tell her that you can save a lot of money by growing your own! BUT, you'll have to start with live meal worms. You can get them from the refrigerator case where ever they sell such things for fishermen!

Haha she'll never go for that but thanks for the suggestion! And I'm not sure if my chickens are weird but they don't care for the mealworms so I was fine with throwing them out. Has anyone else experienced chickens who dislike them?

Chickens won't eat things sometimes if they are unfamiliar with them, now if they were alive I don't think you would have a problem.

This is almost too funny
lau.gif

Ranks right up there with watermelon seed pregnancy, and chocolate milk from brown cows.
tongue2.gif

Live mealworms are one of the first treats my chicks get. The get so curious about the movement in the dish that they can't help but give them a peck. Pretty soon all the chicks are chasing each other around with mealworms hanging out of their beaks. Once they learn the smell of the live ones, they recognized the dried ones as food.

Back
Top Bottom