Can duck bills drop and grow back, like a fingernail?

CrazyCritterGal

Chirping
Jan 4, 2020
My duck injured her bill last week. I think she caught it in the wire of her cage and the end got ripped up a tiny bit. She was reserved the day of and a little bit the next day, but now she's back to normal. She still comes out and runs around like normal, she drinks normally, and is back to nibbling at everything under the sun. The only thing that changed is she refuses to eat anything that's not a specific texture of mush (she picks it up and then just lets it drop back out of her mouth).
But I noticed today that the tip that she injured is lifting up a bit. It reminds me of when I smashed my finger and the nail lifted up before eventually falling off and a new one growing in. Is that what's happening with her bill? Do I need to get it stuck back down somehow? I can't get to the vet until tomorrow, and honestly, I don't know if we have a vet in our town that could knowledgeably check her out.

Can you see under if there is new bill under? After your first post when she first did this I ordered some vet glue off Amazon. Haven’t had to use it but wanted it to have it on hand. Can you offer her soupy feed right now? Warm water with a little ACV to keep it fresh? But I’d try to look under and see if there is new bill material growing under that broken piece. If not then you might want to have it removed

Can you see under if there is new bill under? After your first post when she first did this I ordered some vet glue off Amazon. Haven’t had to use it but wanted it to have it on hand. Can you offer her soupy feed right now? Warm water with a little ACV to keep it fresh? But I’d try to look under and see if there is new bill material growing under that broken piece. If not then you might want to have it removed
I haven't been able to buy that glue yet, but I'm getting it as soon as I can, regardless!
I give her mushed food, which she eats. She was refusing to drink the ACV water, no matter how diluted it was (apparently she's very picky :rolleyes:) and would just go drink the dog water while she was out... so I've just been making sure her water's extra clean. Looking at her bill, it looks like there is some rough black material under there (the original tip is black, so the color isn't concerning!). It could be young bill material, but it's very hard to tell.
Looking at her now after she's been running around, it looks like it's even looser... I don't know if I'll get a say in if it stays on or not. :hmm

Might just wait it out sounds like it may fall off soon. As long as she’ll eat then just keep an eye on it. I lost a Finger nail from dropping a large rock on my finger looking for worms for my ducks. Took quiet a while for the nail to fall off and new finger nail is still growing back in probably close to 2 months now. So this stuff takes time. Hopefully she’ll grow a new tip.

Back
Top Bottom