1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can duckling go under broody whilst chicks are hatching?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bantymum, Sep 7, 2009.

1. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all, I have been handed 4 wild ducklings which I have lost 3, I have 1 lone duckling. I have her inside with heatpad and mirror and fluffy toy, however one of my silkies is hatching out chicks right now. I tried to put the duckling out there this afternoon with OK results.
    The duckling was placed under Mum's tail and was happy to snuggle under for a while then came out quacking in confusion?
    Mumma silkie was fine but did look at him with hesitance as if to say "wow, where did u come from?" but her head feathers were stiffened up as in defensive mode.
    The duckling was fine to go under her from behind but not from the front.
    I was afraid to leave the ducking out in there overnight as it is still cold here, early spring. so he is in here again with me.
    Has anyone had success with a broody hen rearing ducks??
    I realise the chick starter crumbles are too strong/lethal for ducklings.
    This little duck is a fighter, The mum dropped them off at a shopfront then flew off and left them, im a bird/duck rehabber.
    any advice is welcome
    Thanks
    Helen

2. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    All I feed my ducklings is chick starter. It also says for ducklings/geese and stuff, but it's intended for chicks.

And Amprolium medicated feed is okay for ducklings, but be sure they have enough Niacin in their feed to prevent leg/neurological issues.

Put a light bulb in the brooder instead of a heating pad; I've always used bulbs with better success than a pad. [​IMG]

3. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Thankyou, I usually feed ducklings with turkey starter which is less medicated.
    I decided to take the duckling away from the broody hen and bring him inside with heat and fluffy toy and mirror, which has worked really well.
    Thankyou
    Helen

4. cluckers&quackers

cluckers&quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    I use the chick starter crumbles also. The 1st time I had ducklings I had no idea what to feed them. We live in a small town, and the owner of the feed store is really awsome when it comes to asking questions about the feed etc. She carries a medicated and a non medicated so I just buy the bag of non medicated. I am not sure how others do it, but I wet it down as it seems easier for them to eat that way.

Good luck with your baby:)

5. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I would have PREFERRED non-medicated turkey feed, but I only noticed it the second the bag had been dumped in the bin... [​IMG]

Turkey feed because I have turkeys, and because I want something with higher protein for my ducklings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by