Can ducklings eat fruit and insect gecko food

Jane64

Hatching
Apr 29, 2022
We have two 1-week old ducklings. They don't like the duckling food I am giving them (we have even tried 3 different brands), but they love live or dried mealworms and live black soldier fly larvae. (I didn't want to give them treats as food, but I needed to get them to eat something rather than starve.) I am not sure the mealworms/BSFL have enough nutrients for them, so my son who raises geckos suggested Repashy gecko food. It is 30% real insects mixed with 50% real fruit. It comes in a powder that is mixed with water. I don't want to give the ducklings something that is unsafe for them to eat, but it all sounds like foods they would enjoy. Maybe I could make a "soup" with this grub n' fruit mixture with their duckling food mixed into it. Geckos are incredibly small, so I don't think the amounts of vitamins, etc., would be too much for a duck. I just don't want to take chances giving the ducklings something that could harm them, but I would like them to eat more of their duck food.
Here is the description from the Repashy website:
Grub N’ Fruit Gecko Diet
-Contains 30% real insects and 50% real fruit!
-Our Insect Protein-Based Meal Replacement Powder (MRP) for all Fruit-Eating species that typically eat a diet of Fruit and Insects.

INGREDIENTS: Black Soldier Fly Larvae Meal, Dried Banana, Dried Date, Dried Mango, Coconut Meal, Pea Protein, Rice Protein, Stabilized Rice Bran, Ground Flaxseed, Cane Molasses, Lecithin, Algae Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Dried Kelp, Dried Watermelon, Rose Hips, Hibiscus Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Citric Acid, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Natural Flavor, Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).

-Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 24%, Crude Fat min. 6%, Crude Fiber max. 5%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 9%, Calcium min. 1.2%.

DIRECTIONS: Mix one part MRP with two parts water by volume as a starting point. The mixture may appear watery at first, but will thicken after several minutes. If separation occurs over time, use less water. As fed, MRP should have the consistency of ketchup. Feed geckos in the evening and remove uneaten MRP within 24 hours.

Thank you so much for this forum! You all have helped me through many situations!

Gecko diets won't provide all the proper nutrients and portions levels that ducklings need to grow up healthy and strong.
I would stop feeding all treats and provide only food and water.
So long as they are acting normal and healthy, they should eat their food if they're hungry. Just keep them on one brand give them some time.

Thank you for your quick reply and a dose of common sense for me!
This morning I received my order of Mazuri Waterfowl Starter, and they seem to love it. It floats on the water, so they were more interested in it. It's the first dry food they have even touched. Thank you again for your advice! I was just a nervous duck-mom trying to get them to eat something.

Back
Top Bottom