Can Ducklings Get Colic/Gas?

blumoonduckmama

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
I have a three week old Pekin that has labored breathing and sometimes pants a bit for a few minutes. The duckling is eating well and drinking well. I have started them on Brewer's yeast because I noticed that this duckling was laying down to feed and seemed to at times limp a bit. I give my Pekins 1 tablet of Brewers yeast a day crushed in their food. My first questions is whether this is enough for the two Pekins and if you can over do the yeast?

It started this breathing hard yesterday so I wonder if it is a pain reaction or if perhaps he ate something while having his bath outside that bothered him? Both Pekins have normal looking stool and have always been kept dry and well watered. I did put probiotics in their water and will continue to do this for a few days. Can ducks have mild colic or gas?? I have been giving them regular duck grain, and they have access to grit. I also give them kale, and sprouted wheat berries.

I do not see signs of choking stress or alarming signs of eating something toxic. The duckling is still sweet and friendly and seems very alert. Thanks everyone!!!!

I have a three week old Pekin that has labored breathing and sometimes pants a bit for a few minutes. The duckling is eating well and drinking well. I have started them on Brewer's yeast because I noticed that this duckling was laying down to feed and seemed to at times limp a bit. I give my Pekins 1 tablet of Brewers yeast a day crushed in their food. My first questions is whether this is enough for the two Pekins and if you can over do the yeast?

It started this breathing hard yesterday so I wonder if it is a pain reaction or if perhaps he ate something while having his bath outside that bothered him? Both Pekins have normal looking stool and have always been kept dry and well watered. I did put probiotics in their water and will continue to do this for a few days. Can ducks have mild colic or gas?? I have been giving them regular duck grain, and they have access to grit. I also give them kale, and sprouted wheat berries.

I do not see signs of choking stress or alarming signs of eating something toxic. The duckling is still sweet and friendly and seems very alert. Thanks everyone!!!!
What are the temps in your brooder that can cause panting and labored breathing if it's too warm. and I don't think you can over do on the brewers yeast I'd think for the 2 ducks 2 tab would be good or even doing it 2Xa day till you see much improvement in the one having issues B vitamins are water soluable so they will pee out what they don't need .

I have turned off their heat lamp. They were outside yesterday with me and that is when I noticed the panting and breathing. It was overcast and 60 yesterday so I think I can rule out over heating. I mostly fear that its the start of an infection, although the duckling seems alert and perky and like I said he is eating well. Good to know on the Brewers yeast and I will give them two tabs twice a day! Thankyou!

I have turned off their heat lamp. They were outside yesterday with me and that is when I noticed the panting and breathing. It was overcast and 60 yesterday so I think I can rule out over heating. I mostly fear that its the start of an infection, although the duckling seems alert and perky and like I said he is eating well. Good to know on the Brewers yeast and I will give them two tabs twice a day! Thankyou!
Maybe add some unpasturised ACV to their drinking water and keep an eye on it if you noticed any thing else post back, but for now I'd just watch it, no since an starting antibiotics unless you know for sure it needs them. I maybe at the age it is it's just going through a growth spurt and is going through a lil rough patch. Hopefully that's all it is.

Back
Top Bottom