CAN DUCKLINGS LIVE IN THE DARK?

Adz_k187

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2020
Hello all, I have some duck eggs that are on day 14 of incubation, from what I’ve read ducklings can be quite smelly, so I was wondering if I would be able to keep them in the basement, would the light from the heat lamp be enough? Would they be okay in the dark? Or do they need the day and night cycle kind of thing??

Hello all, I have some duck eggs that are on day 14 of incubation, from what I’ve read ducklings can be quite smelly, so I was wondering if I would be able to keep them in the basement, would the light from the heat lamp be enough? Would they be okay in the dark? Or do they need the day and night cycle kind of thing??
They might learn to adapt into the basement life, but why would you put them through that? They need at least the essentials from nature.

That would be fine. Darkness would actually be better because it keeps them calm and less stressed when they hatch.
Thanks for the reply, so they would be fine in the basement until they have all fully Feathered and ready for the outside world? I would take them out to explore the garden every now and then, but the thing is I made the foolish mistake of hatching them in autumn/winter, I’m in the UK and the weather here is quite rainy and cold.

for the reply, so they would be fine in the basement until they have all fully Feathered and ready for the outside world? I would take them out to explore the garden every now and then, but the thing is I made the foolish mistake of hatching them in autumn/winter, I’m in the UK and the weather here is quite rainy and cold.
Not until they fully feather out, just until they all hatch

Back
Top Bottom