Can ducks and geese have this??

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
I got this multi species electrolyte powder but it doesn’t say ducks geese or even chickens !! Can I use it for them??

Attachments

• 1D292C94-70E7-4A4F-B67C-69A6FD5E999F.jpeg
    1D292C94-70E7-4A4F-B67C-69A6FD5E999F.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 126
  • E359AF4F-DDD4-42CA-922F-11A305C05682.jpeg
    E359AF4F-DDD4-42CA-922F-11A305C05682.jpeg
    601.5 KB · Views: 5
That is rehydration powder: it has sugar in it, not just electrolytes.

Why are you wanting to use it? I actually prefer rehydration solution with sugar (dextrose) for sick duck that are not eating properly. The sugar gives a few energy calories.

I have only been able to get fruit flavored rehydration salts in the USA. The fruit flavors are ghastly but my sick duck doesn't seem to mind. Oral rehydration solution was originally developed for treating diarrhoea in children and adults. But it has been taken over by the sports drink industry, and prices have increased. One month ago, I would have written that Amazon's own brand is cheapest and has the most ghastly flavor. But I just got a bag of 30 sachets of "liquid IV Hydration multiplier" from Costco that is cheaper and doesn't taste so bad. The Amazon version has higher sodium content

I am having difficulty comparing the formulation with yours. I don't know what the % is a percentage of. The ones I have are %of human daily value for what that is worth as an infant has a lower daily value than an adult. But the ones I have give the contents in grams and mg which would be comparisonable with yours but yours doesn't give the gr/mg content. Assuming the dextrose content of yours is % of mixture by weight, then yours has less sugar than the human versions: yours being 50% and mine being 66%. But that is a big assumption.

I don't know what is the glycine in yours. The Costco liquid IV has niacin, Vit B6 and Vit B 12. The niacin is good for sick ducks. I add Rooster Booster Poultry Cell to the solution when I make it up.

So if you need a hydration solution for a sick duck, I think yours is better than plain water. It could be improved by adding Rooster Booster or similar.

But the first question is definitely, why do you want to give it to your ducks?

@ruthhope Thanks for replying! Wow it’s been 110° with the humidity for the past few days and I thought I’d give them a bucket of electrolytes just to help them through it. I got the bounce back from Amazon on a whim. have not opened it, didnt realize it didnt include poultry on the label. And so I am likely going to return it.. I still have some BVS poult start that came with my ducklings in February and which I think has electrolytes, I guess if I decide they look like they could use some help I could give them a little bit of that. I ran out of my durvet poultry vitamins that I usually use if I duck needs it, which is rare, but I like to have my emergency first aid kit stocked up.

Last edited:
@ruthhope Thanks for replying! Wow it’s been 110° with the humidity for the past few days and I thought I’d give them a bucket of electrolytes just to help them through it. I got the bounce back from Amazon on a whim. have not opened it, didnt realize it didnt include poultry on the label. And so I am likely going to return it.. I still have some BVS poult start that came with my ducklings in February and which I think has electrolytes, I guess if I decide they look like they could use some help I could give them a little bit of that. I ran out of my durvet poultry vitamins that I usually use if I duck needs it, which is rare, but I like to have my emergency first aid kit stocked up.
Gatorade was developed for the University of Florida football players to replace the salts lost from sweating during practice. It is basically Kool-aid with added salts, mostly regular old sodium chloride. An electrolyte solution is any solution that has ions in it so it conducts electricity such as acids, bases, and salts. Since poultry doesn’t sweat, I do not see the need unless they are sick as mentioned. I would just make sure your ducks have water and shade. Frozen treats in their water will also be appreciated.

Gatorade was developed for the University of Florida football players to replace the salts lost from sweating during practice. It is basically Kool-aid with added salts, mostly regular old sodium chloride.
Don't forget the artificial colors, flavors and bromated vegetable oil! 😋

Celery juice and apple juice are good if you feel that you need it, but yes, sea salt is a great hot weather supplement. Make sure you are getting magnesium and potassium too.

Nothing wrong with a pinch of sea salt in your ducks water.

Back
Top Bottom