Can Ducks Eat Mushrooms?

Little Byrd

Chirping
Dec 25, 2015
Georgia
Hi, I've read that ducks can eat enoki mushrooms, but are there other mushrooms that they can eat? Like white, portabello, oyster, chicken of the woods, or lion's mane? I know some of those aren't so familiar, but they are all edible for people when cooked, and I'm hoping someone might know if they're edible for ducks as well. I will be growing mushrooms in my backyard soon, which is where my ducks free range.

I've read that they shouldn't eat mushrooms. I think this is because in most cases the ducks will come into contact while free ranging. So many mushrooms are poisonous and most people, including myself, don't know the difference. If I see any mushrooms growing in my yard I pull them up so my ducks don't get to them. I will say that one of my ducks did find one I missed and ate it. It made a cloud of spores as she chomped it and ate it. I thought for sure she was going to die but she was fine.

I have plans to grow some mushrooms, and plan to fence off the small area for growing them so that I will have some to eat, myself.

I think certain mushrooms are fine for ducks, but with mushrooms, there's much gray area, I think.

For example, I have read it's best for us to eat cooked mushrooms (though some argue that raw are fine). There are definitely toxic mushrooms out there, the fly agarics and worse.

Mine have eaten mushrooms on occasion and seem fine, though if anything that looks like an agaric comes up, I get it out of there a.s.a.p.

Back
Top Bottom