Can ducks have "Down Syndrome"?

sscaria

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
I have a baby cayuga duck who's a few months old. She's always shaking and she always flops over onto one side not able to get up. We help her back up and then she just walks away. Her quack sounds different and she has a hard time walking sometimes. Nonetheless, I love her! I won't cull her since she's not in any pain, and I love having her around. A lot of people agree, too! She's like our lil' baby :) Anyways, the parents were brother and sister and as we know if human relatives reproduce, they is a much higher risk of a mental disorder, syndrome or other defects happening to the child. Is that the same case with ducks? Because I might have a case of Duck Down Syndrome or something. If you have any ideas, comment below!

Extra info-
both sisters are completely normal
duck I'm talking about is a girl
def is a neurological disorder because I've given every treatment recommended to no avail
im not culling her unless shes in pain (which she's not)

How long and what type of niacin did you supplement with? I'd also add vitamin e to the diet. Even though the rest of the ducks are ok, some will need supplementation. Ducks wouldn't have down syndrome because that's due to an extra chromosome and it's a human issue. They could have neurological issues, but most are able to be rectified with extra care.

Last edited:
I gave her Brewers Yeast for like two weeks. Also, I think I'll try and give them some again, but now to the whole flock. Also I know ducks can't have Down Syndrome, I just call it that because idk what else to call it lol.

I would opt for a stronger version of niacin. Nutritional yeast has a higher level of niacin than brewers. But, for the one with issues, I recommend the liquid super b complex. It says injectable, but you can add it to their feed or a treat. I'd make sure the 1 was getting a full dose.

I would opt for a stronger version of niacin. Nutritional yeast has a higher level of niacin than brewers. But, for the one with issues, I recommend the liquid super b complex. It says injectable, but you can add it to their feed or a treat. I'd make sure the 1 was getting a full dose.
Ok! I actually have the pill form of Super B Complex, so can I crush it into a powder and mix in in with water/food?

Back
Top Bottom