Can ducks learn the word no

So I was thinking- can my ducks learn what no means? is me saying no when they do something useless lol
Probably although I don't know how much success you will have with them actually not doing whatever you ask haha The other night my one duck "yellow" started to wander out of her pen before I went back to close the door. I said "Yellow you get back in there" frustratedly fully expecting her to continue waddling out of the barn, but nope. She turned right around and went back in her pen staying there. I'm sure it was just coincidence, but nonetheless my face still looked like-😲😲😲😂

Last edited:
My ducks know all kinds of words/phrases. Like, go to bed, come here ducks, and their names. But I definitely agree with @fatty and friends that they are like cats and even if they know a word that doesn't mean they are doing to follow your instructions if they don't want to. The key is motivating them.

My cats come when I call them and sit consistently because they know I'll give them salmon treats. My ducks come when I call them and go to bed when told because they know I'll give them mealworms. I believe if you say "no" consistently to your ducks and then when they don't do something always give them a treat you could train them.

I've read in poultry science articles that chicken have the same intelligence as a 3 year old toddler, I don't think ducks would be less intelligent than chickens so I say yes. Maybe a noise would help like a clicker or buzzer.

Back
Top Bottom