can ducks smell predators ? (muscovies)

Aug 17, 2020
Quebec, Canada
last night my dog went out in the middle of the night (she has done this every night for the last 4 nights, we are not enjoying the 1am walk around). My spouse did the doorman job and he says she must have seen a raccoon because she chased it up the side of the mountain and was gone an hour.

this morning I took the duck to the pond, (she has a room in the henhouse at night which is most secure cabin we could build), and when she got to the place she normally loves to stand and look and flap herself and wiggle her bum in delight she started squwacking like a goose at something I could not see. I had my spouse come pick her up (he is a natural soother for all the animals) and he held her. Until he picked her up it was hysteria! she screamed like she was facing a monster. I saw nothing.

maybe the raccoon walked there during the night and marked a territory she could smell ?

I had my spouse carry her back to her room, she has a huge window and a washtub, so she is sitting there happy.

what the hell just happened?

She was most likely on edge from last night and saw or heard something that scared her.
I wish she would just SAY something (giggle)

the hens are all out looking for snacks, the turkey (a great big Tom) is just irritating by all the chickens (his normal morning).

you make a good point though... her window looks out on the yard, she may have seen the visitor, the window for the chicken bedroom looks out back instead...

last night my dog went out in the middle of the night (she has done this every night for the last 4 nights, we are not enjoying the 1am walk around). My spouse did the doorman job and he says she must have seen a raccoon because she chased it up the side of the mountain and was gone an hour.

this morning I took the duck to the pond, (she has a room in the henhouse at night which is most secure cabin we could build), and when she got to the place she normally loves to stand and look and flap herself and wiggle her bum in delight she started squwacking like a goose at something I could not see. I had my spouse come pick her up (he is a natural soother for all the animals) and he held her. Until he picked her up it was hysteria! she screamed like she was facing a monster. I saw nothing.

maybe the raccoon walked there during the night and marked a territory she could smell ?

I had my spouse carry her back to her room, she has a huge window and a washtub, so she is sitting there happy.

what the hell just happened?
No, scovies and other ducks don't have a sense of smell

Back
Top Bottom