Can EE eggs change colour?

Amethyste

For Love of Boo...
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Silverlake/Mill Creek, WA
I know I know...strange question. I have 2 EE in my flock, Mercedes is the oldest, at almost 7 y.o., and Silver is only 3 y.o.

Mercedes has always laid a lovely gorgeous greenish-blue egg. Silver has not....I have only ever seen her lay brown eggs. So, I said ok... fine, I have a brown egg laying EE.

Sigh
sad.png
I actually saw the egg pop out so I know Silver was laying brown ones.

Well, the last 2 weeks, almost EVERY DAY I have gotten 2 EE green-blue eggs in the nest. We have had 6-7 eggs of 7 girls, and of them by night fall there are like 2 green-blue eggs in the nest. Not every time mind you, but enough to make me tear my hair out trying to figure out what is going on.

I cannot seem to find if Mercedes is working over time cos I have given them very good treats etc lately, or if Silver finally decided to drive me insane and lay colored eggs.

So whatchathink?

Can EE eggs change colours over time?

Am I going crazy from these two hard headed chickens?

IT IS A MYSTERY!!!!!

Last edited:
the color will not change, but the level of pigmentation can. so if your bird lays green eggs the eggs will always be green, just maybe little lighter or darker sometimes. a bird that lays green-blue eggs will never lay a brown egg and visa versa. a brown egg layer will never lay a green-blue egg

edited for typos

Last edited:
Hmmm so Mercedes is probably double laying? I wonder if her timer is off then
sad.png

And the brown eggs are definitely brown, we have a few vaguely pinkish browns, and then Mercedes' bright green eggs. The two eggs seem to be shaded different from each other, they don't look quite the same.

I wonder if this is a medical issue I should worry about then. I swear they make me worry on purpose.

Last edited:
Hmm well if you're sure you don't have another pullet with the green-blue gene (they might not have beards or pea combs or even look like EE but if they have the green/blue gene they will lay green eggs) then maybe she's laying two eggs a day but that seems unlikely since I'm assuming it has happened on more than one day. If she IS laying two eggs a day I don't think you should be concerned about her at all health-wise, if she's producing like that, she's healthy. Just consider yourself lucky!

Back
Top Bottom