Can Emus free range

All of my emu from the day I got them they have never tried to leave and have always loved being here , I would never just turn them out to be loose because they would get attacked or hit by a car , there fencing is a safety thing for them to protect them , I would never take a chance with my babies, I hand raised them, and they are part of my family they have grown with my children , my son used to have a tent he would put in the pen with them and summer time he would stay and sleep in there every night with them they would go in his tent at-least part of them and lie down and sleep they only got up to go out to use the bathroom , we had one emu who had leg surgery and lived in the house who was trained to go out side to use the restroom , he would wake me so I could take him out at night and as soon as I took him out he went and was ready to come back in , He had to sleep with me for 6 week's so his leg could heal and I could keep him off his leg and he loved every second of it , pee is his name and he was picked up and carried out when he got old enough we couldn't pick him up , and he came in every night then we put him out and our son lived in there with him for a long time it was the sweetest thing we have had and I can pick any of my yearling emu up without them even trying to fight , I have took them to the school when they call to teach the students about emu and the farm class the whole school loved it and my emu seemed to love the attention. we kept through rugs to take so they could go into the classroom with slipping the children got to pet them see them and learn and they got emptied emu eggs , to take home and keep .

Quote: Why not... I've heard of house-trained chickens, and my lamb is house-trained. She knows to go outside before peeing or pooping, and she knows to get off the porch before she does it, too. Seems the hardest part of housebreaking almost any animal is actually training the human, and the human possessing the necessary qualities to succeed (perception of the animal's capacities and thought processes and body language, etc).

It's not a joke he lived inside and let me know when he needed to go out ,and a friend of mine raised one of my babies indoor and he started watching her cats and started backing up to her kitty litter , she didn't know why her cat litter had large amounts of mess in it till she watched him back up to it and use the bathroom and he is doing great
she has raised two but this one is the only one that uses the kitty litter

Hello there everybody! I am new to this farm stuff. I have inherited a deceased uncles critter crew. I have a few cabinet style incubators to sell. He was trying to raise emus. I only kept one. I want to leash/harness him. Please email me at [email protected] for more info. And to trade tips about funny farming.
I remain,
BRDunkelman

Hello there everybody! I am new to this farm stuff. I have inherited a deceased uncles critter crew. I have a few cabinet style incubators to sell. He was trying to raise emus. I only kept one. I want to leash/harness him. Please email me at [email protected] for more info. And to trade tips about funny farming.
I remain,
BRDunkelman
pm sent

I only have three emus, one of them keeps escaping. It usually takes me about a week before she will follow me down to the pasture. The top pasture has the other two and I just try to get her into the back pasture. Anyway the point of this is she pretty much has free range when she has escaped. Our living room has three walls with large windows on one side of our house. there is also a patio there. The only thing she ends up doing when she gets out is stare at us in the windows and just hangs out there, booms, moves some leaves around and stares at us again. When I go out to feed the chickens and other birds, she follows me around everywhere, puffing up her chest and waving it in front of me.

Back
Top Bottom