1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can free choice oyster shell hurt?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ken3, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Ken3

Ken3 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Folks -

I have 4 Orpingtons and 2 Brahmas that I got this spring, and 1 of the brahmas is starting to lay. She's only laying very small eggs, about every other day. I wanted to get her some extra calcium, but figured that switching all of them to layer feed (from the grower feed, I use the TSC house brand) might give the others too much calcium. I saw in a number of threads here the recommendation to give some free choice oyster shell, so I got some and put it out today in an extra feeder. And, of course, all of the chickens went right over and started eating it. So - can it hurt if they aren't laying yet? Any other ideas for what to feed when only 1 of our 6 girls is laying? Thanks -

Ken

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

At first they all will eat some but not to worry, they're just checking it out. The ones that are not laying will cease to eat it until needed.

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

x2

4. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Mine downed a bunch of it when I first offered it as it was something new and exciting to try. Now they only take what they need.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Can free choice oyster shell hurt?

Yes, if you drop a big bag on your toe​

6. momofpets

momofpets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Quote:Yes, if you drop a big bag on your toe

[​IMG]

7. remuda1