Can free ranging cause eggshell problems?

shiningeyes

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
I'm wondering if free ranging can possibly lead to thin and/or soft shell eggs. My small flock of 4 has been having issues with thin eggs/cracked eggs/egg broken internally and while laying. They free range all day with access to layer feed and oyster shell. I've just changed their feed to a different brand and have started mixing oyster shell in with their food as well as keeping it in a separate dish in order to hopefully entice them to eat it. They don't get many treats. Mostly a little fruit that falls from the trees in their yard, a handful (or less) of BOSS/scratch just to get them into their run at night and sometimes kitchen scraps but not every day or even every week. But I'm wondering if they're just finding too much in their yard to eat and not eating enough pellets and just don't like the oyster shell. Has anyone ever experienced this? I know feeding too much junk/too many treats can possibly have this effect but could free ranging alone do it? Thoughts?

I haven't had any issues with my hen but I have had her for only 3 months now. If they aren't interested in the oyster shell, maybe try crushing/breaking up some eggshell for them and mixing it in with the oyster shell. I find the quail and chickens are more keen on the broken eggshell than the oyster shell.

I spoil my hen with treats and let her free range with the others, 5 3 month old chicks and her rooster mate, and haven't had any thin, broken or soft eggs. I have noticed though it is the rooster who picks up the layers pellets and calls her over to make her eat them when otherwise she ignores the layers pellets, usually eating the scratch I put out or gamebird pellets for the youngsters and roo instead.

I haven't had any issues with my hen but I have had her for only 3 months now. If they aren't interested in the oyster shell, maybe try crushing/breaking up some eggshell for them and mixing it in with the oyster shell. I find the quail and chickens are more keen on the broken eggshell than the oyster shell.

I spoil my hen with treats and let her free range with the others, 5 3 month old chicks and her rooster mate, and haven't had any thin, broken or soft eggs. I have noticed though it is the rooster who picks up the layers pellets and calls her over to make her eat them when otherwise she ignores the layers pellets, usually eating the scratch I put out or gamebird pellets for the youngsters and roo instead.

The eggshells work well! My hens won't touch oyster shells and the rooster eats all the laying pellets so the eggshells are a staple here. I saw someone talking about crushing up antacids for calcium if that's true its great Tums are pretty darn cheap.

Thanks! I was just thinking of trying this. It just really seems like they don't eat the oyster shell. I had one that did but she developed an infection in her oviduct and now doesn't lay or lays internally so it isn't doing HER any good! And even though they have layer feed i guess it just might not be enough in that brand. I think I'll start crushing up their shells and I just switched their food to a different brand so hopefully it's just a matter of them needing more calcium and between those two things I'll get them back in shape!

Chickens need more than just calcium to support egg shells and production. Virtually all added vitamins, minerals and amino acids that are added to layers feed, are there to support egg production. Read the label ingredients. You'll be amazed at all the added vitamins and minerals.
If they don't consume enough of a fortified feed, because of all day foraging or too many scraps, scratch grains or fruit. Egg quality will suffer.
I let my girls out of their pen to forage 2 hours before sunset. This way they stuff their crop with layers pellets all day, 20170509_092752.jpg so get all the necessary nutrients for beautiful eggs. 20170217_011822.jpg GC

Chickens need more than just calcium to support egg shells and production. Virtually all added vitamins, minerals and amino acids that are added to layers feed, are there to support egg production. Read the label ingredients. You'll be amazed at all the added vitamins and minerals.
If they don't consume enough of a fortified feed, because of all day foraging or too many scraps, scratch grains or fruit. Egg quality will suffer.
I let my girls out of their pen to forage 2 hours before sunset. This way they stuff their crop with layers pellets all day,View attachment 1053435 so get all the necessary nutrients for beautiful eggs.View attachment 1053436 GC
Thank for the input GC. That's something I've been wondering about. I've attempted to lock them up for a bit today and hey we're super unhappy as it's not what they're used to. I think I'll just start letting them out later and locking them up earlier gradually and see if it makes a difference. I know a lot of people pasture their chickens but maybe mine just like it too much. I've also added vitamins to their water so I'll see how it goes.

Did that here for a bit even started putting laying pellets in the coop so first thing in the morning they had pellets. I thought it was working as the pellets were disappearing until I saw the rooster wolfing them down. Even the little cockrels find a few strays and eat them like there the best thing since sliced bread. The hens absolutely will not touch them. I've tried crumbles too they must be really awful even the rooster won't eat those. Eggs still look good, only had one softie ever so it must not be too bad.I would truly love for them to eat the pellets but can't really force them. :)

My chickens free range all day long. I don't feed them oyster shell, they just eat layer mash. And they get at least a bowlful of kitchen scraps a day.

And they also eat at least some eggshells once a day (we eat eggs a lot and just throw them the eggshells). They devour them. They're eggshells are so tough when I throw them off of the porch they don't even crack!

Back
Top Bottom