Can Geese Get Parasites From Chickens?

markt1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013
My attempts to raise geese from eggs laid here at home are not going well. Two dozen eggs last year and only one fertile (I had them xrayed at work to be sure). This year only five eggs so far this year. So I'm ready to give up on geese (keeping only four as pets) and try other livestock. But my geese have all been bullet-proof with no mites, lice or worms at all. Since chickens seem to be much more prone to carrying these nasty things, could my beloved pet geese become infected if I chose to raise a dozen chickens in the same yard? Thanks...

My attempts to raise geese from eggs laid here at home are not going well. Two dozen eggs last year and only one fertile (I had them xrayed at work to be sure). This year only five eggs so far this year. So I'm ready to give up on geese (keeping only four as pets) and try other livestock. But my geese have all been bullet-proof with no mites, lice or worms at all. Since chickens seem to be much more prone to carrying these nasty things, could my beloved pet geese become infected if I chose to raise a dozen chickens in the same yard? Thanks...

First... What kind of geese do you have? Some have lower fertility rates. How old are your geese? Are you letting the geese hatch them or are you incubating? IF your incubating are you following this https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed ?? X-raying eggs is not recommended it isn't good for the embryo. Where are you located? Many well established flocks are being slow to start this year because of weird weather. What is your male/female ratio? Some breeds of geese are not fully mature till they are 2 or 3.

Chickens are more prone to problems but thing very seldom pass between waterfowl and chickens.

They are Embden geese. Three are 27 months old, the other five are 15 months old. I've been incubating the eggs since we still have bouts of weather below freezing (it snowed 1/2" last night) and none of the nest are being sat upon.

They are Embden geese. Three are 27 months old, the other five are 15 months old. I've been incubating the eggs since we still have bouts of weather below freezing (it snowed 1/2" last night) and none of the nest are being sat upon.
My 2 year old Embden gander is very late starting this year I'm in Missouri and we got snow Monday. Your girl once they get started should lay close to 40 eggs a year IF you dont let them go set. I wouldn't plan on any gander to take care of more then 2 geese, any more then that and fertility goes down.

Back
Top Bottom