Can get cocci w/o going outside?

Tracyree

Crowing
13 Years
May 6, 2011
Have some 1 week o ld chicks, never been outside (got as day olds from hatchery). They've been indoors in a plastic brooder. Can chicks get cocci in that situation?

I'll never say never to that question. In ideal conditions, they should not. The hatchery very carefully sterilizes it's incubators and hatchers and the chicks never touch the ground until you get them. The hatcheries wash the eggs in a special solution. Cocci is not something that is passed down through the eggs. I'm not sure how the vaccination works as far as them developing cocci from that if you keep them in wet conditions.

But all it takes is for the protazoa to find it's way to them and they can get it. Whether that is on the journey to you or something that you do, who knows. Nature often finds a way to amaze us. All they need is to eat some dirt and they can have it.

I'm not sure why you are asking? Knowing that may change my asnswer a bit. Whether they have been exposed to the cocci protazoa or not does not mean you can keep a wet brooder. Wet brooders are still dangerous. Maybe you are really asking about medicated feed? While medicated feed does not do them any damage, I personally think it is unnecessary unless you have a cocci problem. It still allows them to develop the immunity they need if the protazoa is present, but if the protazoa is not present, it does not protect them against anything.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom