Can grocery store eggs be hatched?

ChickyPooh

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
South GA
A while back I heard some one talking about fertile grocery store eggs. I have 3 questions:
1. how can you tell if they are fertile
2. can they be hatched once they are refrigerated
3. what breed would they be

I'm pretty sure grocery store eggs are infertile. The hens they use for grocery store eggs are kept for the purpouse of laying eggs to eat, so I doubt the people in charge of them would take the time to get roosters to ferilize the eggs. But hey, I've never really done any research on it /:
Even if they were fertile, I'm no expert myself, so I'm wondering- wouldn't being refridgerated eliminate the chance of the egg growing a baby chick?

i suppose under certain circumstances they could be.

but its highly unlikely.

the egg or eggs you try hatching would have to be in refrigeration for a very short amount of time, and other factors probably apply.

Quote:
1. The carton is labeled FERTILE EGGS
2. Yes, amazingly, eggs are still hatchable after being refridgerated.
3. I believe the breeds hatched on BYC were white leghorns.

Quote:
There is a grocery store, I forget the name, that does sell fertile eggs, someone on here incubated them and got one chick to hatch. But it is very unlikely for one to, because they are refrigerated and jostled around, but there always is that chance. The kind they would be, would depend on what farm they came from, some breeds would be leghorns or rhode island reds.

Back
Top Bottom