Can Guineas Fetilize a Chicken Egg

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Chicky_Baby, May 9, 2011.

1. Chicky_Baby

Chicky_Baby Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    I have a family member who is really skitish about fertilized eggs and am begining to think guineas are the answer to my fly problem but I keep seeing things about guineas mating with chickens. If they can't produce offspring I don't think she will have issues with the mating but if they ever create a fertile egg and it slips past me that is the last egg she will ever eat, lol. So for the sake of not starving my aunt can a guinea knock up a chicken.[​IMG]

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    just don't keep a rooster with your chickens and you won't ever have to worry about the fetilizedd egg thing.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes. It is rare and the offspring are sterile, but it does happen.

It also does happen that people hatch chickens from ordinary store bought eggs, although again, it is rare.

4. Chicky_Baby

Chicky_Baby Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Quote:OMG ddawn if I tell her that she will NEVER eat anything again, lolololololololol. We will keep this classified as top secret.[​IMG]

5. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes. I had a guinea and a silkie cross once; the offspring were really wild looking.

6. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Does she open it up to check for a blastodisc? I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like there would be little embryos floating around in her omelet. I mean, it still grosses me out a bit, but I do get that there really isn't much difference that early on.

7. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] LOL... an embryo omelet... ick! I think that would most definitely turn me off eggs, lol.

Chicky... Just be sure to collect the eggs for your aunt a few times a day and refrigerate them right away and assure her that nothing will develop in a fresh, cold fertile egg, lol.

8. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I don't know how this family member would ever know they were fertile unless you told her. Just tell her you only cook the infertile ones..... [​IMG]

9. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I want to see a picture of a guinea mix with a chicken! This seams really cool!

Nate

10. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    Quote:Me Tooooo!!! that sounds wild

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by