Can heat wave cause walking problems?

mamaKate

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
SE MO
My little Porcelain D'uccle hen stopped standing and walking when the temps were super high. She was on a shaded porch with a fan. I brought her into the air conditioning about a week ago but I don't see significant improvement. She's eating, although not as much as I'd like. She can't balance on her perch, just wobbles off. I tried trimming her leg feathers because if she gets a piece of shaving stuck to her foot she won't perch. I thought the feathers ( longest they've ever been) might be bothering her. When I put her in the floor she wobbles and hops a bit then squats back into a nesting position. No poop issues. I'm out of ideas. Anybody?

Last edited:
Quote:
How old is she? sounds like if she is squatting into nesting position maybe she is egg bound? just a guess, but look at her vent does she look like she could be trying to lay?

She's about two years old. She isn't straining at all. What sort of vent issues am I looking for?

Quote:
when you mentioned squatting It made me think maybe she could be having problems passing an egg, if her vent is red and pulsing then she is either having a problem or about to lay, is her vent swollen like she is laying? there is a difference in look from one that isn't laying and one that is. The heat could have had someting to do with her not wanting to eat or drink much. But if you have had her inside she should be doing better. is her vent clean or have you noticed it is messy? just trying to help you help her.

I appreciate the input. I can't see anything odd about her vent. She has been an irregular layer for quite a while. I clean her feathers in the morning because she gets messy from not perching. She's such a fussy little thing, I wonder if maybe her legs got stiff from sitting when she was too hot and now she isn't willing to be uncomfortable long enough to work the kinks out. lol I would absolutely take this one to a vet but our guys are rural and can't really grasp the idea of preserving one chicken.

Back
Top Bottom