Can hens carry/pass on their past illnesses through their fertile eggs/chicks?

Good morning!
Could the one on the right be getting pecked at around the face?
That was also a thought by myself but I've since figured definitely not! I've spent a lot of time with them the last week or so and haven't seen any pecking. I'm thinking it general wellbeing is just worse then the others and it's affecting it maturity? Another interesting thing besides the sneezing is the fact that these hens are 9 months old and still have never laid an egg! Although the fact it's now autum and coming into winter could have something to do with that

That was also a thought by myself but I've since figured definitely not! I've spent a lot of time with them the last week or so and haven't seen any pecking. I'm thinking it general wellbeing is just worse then the others and it's affecting it maturity? Another interesting thing besides the sneezing is the fact that these hens are 9 months old and still have never laid an egg! Although the fact it's now autum and coming into winter could have something to do with that

https://sites.google.com/site/husbandryproblemsinchickens/diseases

You mentioned in your first post that your hens are too young to lay, but recently you said they are 9 months old and have never layed an egg.
Something is definitely wrong.
can you repeat a list of all symptoms please.

You mentioned in your first post that your hens are too young to lay, but recently you said they are 9 months old and have never layed an egg.
Something is definitely wrong.
can you repeat a list of all symptoms please.
Yes that is my mistake! I should have said they are yet to lay- it was 1:00am here when I sent that after working a nightshift lol

There symptoms include:
-coughing/sneezing (only in the morning when it's cold)
-One hen has a pale face
- the hen with the pale face occasionally wheezes
-9 months old and still haven't laid eggs.

That's about it really!

They have a good range of free choice oyster shell, and for the past week and a half I have been adding meat meal to there pellets and grain for added protein

Only an oral/throat swab taken and analyzed by a reputable avian vet/lab will determine what respiratory illness might be present and whether it can be transmitted thru hatching eggs. All the rest is mere speculation.

Back
Top Bottom