Can hens ever turn into roosters?

Hi, I really don't know the answer to the above question. I have 6 hens. From some fertilised eggs we finished up with a rooster and 1 hen plus the 5 hens we already had.The hen turned out to be a super chicken She is twice the size of the others and so were her eggs. We got rid of the rooster just before winter and for the last 6 weeks the chooks have been off the lay. The super chicken was always picked on by the others until 2 weeks ago. She now has longer tail feathers, crows (sort of) and is developing spurs. She has now moved up the pecking order although the dominant female still rules the roost. This looks like a case of a female acting like a male. I hate the thought of losing her as a layer. Is there anything that can bring her back to being a proper hen?
Regards,

I have a 5 year old hen who recently went through molt and now acts like a rooster at times and crows when first let out of the coop in the mornings. She also "clucks" the other hens in when feeding. I haven't noticed any other physical change in her feather pattern or spurs on the legs. Will she ever go back to laying eggs or stop crowing?

Someone told me to introduce a mature rooster to the flock and it will pull the hen out of it. Have you ever heard that? Only problem is there's a reason I don't have a rooster....they crow and chase tail all day. :)

I have a 5 year old hen who recently went through molt and now acts like a rooster at times and crows when first let out of the coop in the mornings. She also "clucks" the other hens in when feeding. I haven't noticed any other physical change in her feather pattern or spurs on the legs. Will she ever go back to laying eggs or stop crowing?
I have a 2.5yo hen who did the same thing...often crows in the morning, maybe kinda herds the flock when alarmed.

She could have had a shift in hormone level, or simply taken over as matriarch in an all female flock. Not unusual.
Mine is now head hen, I believe.....change happened after 2 other highest ranking birds died and younger birds got close to POL.

Someone told me to introduce a mature rooster to the flock and it will pull the hen out of it. Have you ever heard that? Only problem is there's a reason I don't have a rooster....they crow and chase tail all day. :)
Maybe...tho I have a cockbird same age as crowing hen.
If you can't or don't want a male, just leave her be....at 5 she may be done laying anyway, only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom