Can hens go on strike?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by julnjake, Oct 11, 2011.

1. julnjake

julnjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    SW PA
    A couple of weeks ago I switched my horses from round bales to square bales and filled the barn with hay bales. A few hens decided they wanted to lay eggs in the hay so I started leaving them in the coop until 4:00 or so in the afternoon so they wouldn't be laying elsewhere. Now I'm getting less eggs. Any explanations?
    Thanks!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Stress. Sure, they can go on strike. The stress of change and being locked up so long can cause it.

3. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    could be they're still laying, just later, and hiding them in your hay stack somewhere.
    could be they're molting and laying fewer eggs because they're making feathers.
    could be they're laying fewer because of the seasonal daylight decrease.
    could be they were picking up a lot of protein from bugs and things while free ranging that they're no longer getting and the decreased protien in their diet is affecting their laying.
    changes in routine *can* disrupt laying, but I would think that's the least likely reason based on what you describe.

4. julnjake

Aug 20, 2011
    SW PA
    Think I should go back to the old routine & deal with eggs in the hay?

5. julnjake

Aug 20, 2011
    SW PA
    bump [​IMG]

6. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    My first question would be how old are they? Three weeks ago all my year old hens started to molt and stopped laying. I am just below you in the Eastern Panhandle of WV so the same weather change. My 6 and 7 month old pullets are still laying. My 1 year old EE is finishing her molt and just started laying again yesterday. Good Luck!

7. julnjake

Aug 20, 2011
    SW PA
    8 of them are 2-2 1/2 yrs old, 10 of them are about 7-8 months old.

8. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    kinda up to how you want to manage it. lots of folks keep their chickens in until they finish laying. if you think that might be the cause, but that strategy works for you, give 'em a week or to to adjust. if they've got adequate room to roam inside, it shouldn't do them any harm.

I've *not* had good luck convincing chickens to stop laying in my hay barn, or in my storage shed shelving, once they've decided that's where they prefer. locking them out of it works, but not much else. my chickens go CHECK the storage room door, and if it's open, lay in there. if it's closed, they'll use the nest boxes. chickens do seem to have opinions on the subject

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by