Can I add a larger rooster to a mixed flock of hens that includes a bantam sebright?

plumpybum

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2021
I've got 5 hens - 2 barred rocks, 2 olive eggers and 1 sebright. I'm looking at an Appenzellar Spitzhauben rooster to add to the flock for protection when free ranging. Is this ok? Just worried about having a larger rooster (really only a medium sized breed) with a tiny bantam...hoping he just doesnt even consider her, with the other bigger girls around.

I've got 5 hens - 2 barred rocks, 2 olive eggers and 1 sebright. I'm looking at an Appenzellar Spitzhauben rooster to add to the flock for protection when free ranging. Is this ok? Just worried about having a larger rooster (really only a medium sized breed) with a tiny bantam...hoping he just doesnt even consider her, with the other bigger girls around.
He'll want to mate/dominate them all.
He may hurt the tiny one or not, depending on his demeanor and technique.
Having a male to 'protect' the flock is a crap shoot.

Don't count on the rooster for all that much protection. He is still a chicken, and most predators would be just as happy eating a rooster as a hen.

He certainly will mate with the bantam hen as well as the larger hens.

If it was me and I wanted to have that particular rooster, I would try it and hope for the best-- because I think there's a good chance it will be fine. You never get certainties when dealing with live animals, but chickens of different sizes often do mate without injury, and Spitzhaubens aren't all that big anyway.

Back
Top Bottom