Can I add a single chicken to my flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by naturemom, Jan 30, 2009.

1. naturemom

naturemom Songster

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    My dd's pet hen disappeared in the fall. We suspect a hawk got her. Naturally, dd wants to get a replacement in the spring, and I'm happy to do so. However, there isn't really space in our chicken tractor to add more than 1 more bird. In the past, I have added new hens 2 at a time. I'm a bit concerned that if I add 1 new one on its own that it will have a harder time with all 5 hens pecking it. Can I safely add just 1?

2. dgeter

dgeter Songster

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Id like to know the answer to this as well..

3. Yes you can , just do it slowly like put in pen beside them for a lil while and then add or wait til evening an put it in the same pen with the others on the roost but keep an eye on it for a few days just to be safe.

4. Iancurrannacearca

Iancurrannacearca In the Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    I added a single hen before and she got picked on for a while but she soon settled in.

5. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Songster

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    just keep her in a small cage IN the tractor--- after a couple weeks, everyone will be used to each other and you just open the cage door!

[​IMG]

6. everyonesmomtwo

everyonesmomtwo In the Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    I've heard that you should put a single chicken out when all the other chickens go to bed. Just put them out to roost or in the nesting box or where ever you keep your chickens and than in the morning just go out and make lots of noise when your feeding them, calling them to you and such. They will be so busy messing with the food they won't even notice a newcommer

7. naturemom

naturemom Songster

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Well, never mind. A hawk got our easter egger today, and there's no sign of one of our mutts. Looks like we'll be needing more than 1.[​IMG]

8. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Songster

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Sounds like you have a serious hawk problem... you need to deal with THEM instead of keep replacing your gals---
    a covered run or even just a fenced area with bird netting over the top (portable!) works...
    Also-- posts around the yard with bright moving flags/reflective streamers and tin cans (for noise) often keeps hawks away... as will a LARGE plastic Hawk/Owl-- as they usually won't intrude on a larger birds territory.

9. chookchick

chookchick Songster

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Sorry to hear about the missing hens...
    I think it's best to do at least 2 so they can keep each other company during quarantine, and during the cooped up separate, but visible stage, plus it's just a bit harder for the others to gang up on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by