Can I add Appenzellers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buggys Beaks, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Buggys Beaks

Buggys Beaks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2013
    Maryland
    Hi! I'm getting my first batch of chicks this April, and I thought I had decided what I wanted, but then I saw the Appenzeller. I wanted to start with 3 hens of each Buff Oropingtons and Black Australorps with a Light Brahma rooster. My coop will be 8' x 10' with a run about 100-120 square ft. I have a portable run I will use for when we are outside with the birds, but it does not have a top. (We have a lot of foxes, feral cats, hawks, eagles, and owls, so I'm not very comfortable leaving them to free range unless I'm outside with them.) Anyway, do you think I could add 2 Appenzellers to my flock? (I would get a straight run, so roos are possible.) Thanks!

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    You should be able to easily fit two Appenzeller hens in your setup. If you had another rooster, I would recommend him having a separate home so one rooster isn't picked on too bad and the hens aren't stressed out with being so frequently mounted. I hope this helps!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by