Can I add my a day old chicks with 2 weeks old ?

oshilo88

Songster
7 Years
Dec 5, 2015
I have 2 weeks old chicks. Just got a few new ones, 1-2 days old. Can I put them in the same brooder with my older ones? Thank you

We actually just recently did this. Bought some chicks on Monday and was told they were 3-10 days old. But then we went back on Saturday and got two more. They were TINY compared to the first five chicks. I read that if they are within two weeks of each other they can be combined so I did that and we haven’t had any problems. The first day we supervised them a good bit and the little ones definitely pecked and annoyed the older chicks, but by day 3 they all seemed fine. Maybe that won’t last but just wanted to share our experience.

We actually just recently did this. Bought some chicks on Monday and was told they were 3-10 days old. But then we went back on Saturday and got two more. They were TINY compared to the first five chicks. I read that if they are within two weeks of each other they can be combined so I did that and we haven’t had any problems. The first day we supervised them a good bit and the little ones definitely pecked and annoyed the older chicks, but by day 3 they all seemed fine. Maybe that won’t last but just wanted to share our experience.
I had the same 2 yrs ago. I bought chicks at Meyer, then in 2 weeks I added 1-2 days old ones. And they were all perfectly fine. But when I just added these today, older ones were running all over them so I needed to put them separately. I don't know what would be better. Maybe I should just introduce them back in a few days, when they'll start eating good? They're still too weak

I had the same 2 yrs ago. I bought chicks at Meyer, then in 2 weeks I added 1-2 days old ones. And they were all perfectly fine. But when I just added these today, older ones were running all over them so I needed to put them separately. I don't know what would be better. Maybe I should just introduce them back in a few days, when they'll start eating good? They're still too weak
Try again after they get active, I would put a round screen around them and let the bigger chicks get use to them before putting them together.

Back
Top Bottom