can I add something to chix water to boost for the cold?

I find my chickens don't spend a lot of time drinking water during the winter, especially when the water freezes quick.
So I go with a supplement of crack corn (protein, builds fat) and keep them on layer pellets for all their nutrients.
Never had any luck feeding straight oats to chicken and game birds, they don't care for it.
Many say it's just a filler to save money.
I have fed dry oatmeal and cornmeal with starter feed to day old chicks.

In the am I give them wetted pellets, with a few of their eggs mixed in, shell and all, crumbled up and mixed well. Then cover with more pellets so they don't see the eggs in it. I have not had any problems with egg eating doing it that way. I add the eggs raw.

I give them warm water, 3 times a day, in a fount on a DIY water heater.

The eggs and shells proved the extra protein and calcium they need and I save money on buying more than their feed.

I give them some scratch, late afternoon, so they have full crops for the night.

Seems to be working well for me, and my chickens are healthy and happy, even in the coldest of temps.

I also give them whole apples, lately every other day...sometimes I cut them up if I see some of them are hogging them, so the lower in the pecking order ones get to have some. I find that the whole apples get into their whole digestive system, where as the ACV just treats the crop. That's what we used to do in the old days so I carried that forward with me.

They also get some scrapes, but it's just me, so I don't generate much left overs of anything. If I have some stale bread, I break up pieces and throw that around too...they love chasing around after it and both the apples and bread give them something to do to stave off the boredom.

I do plan to dust them and everything else, can I worm the at the same time they are going through he dusting treatments or will that be too much at once?

I've never really wormed a flock, so can't advise you there. Most advise to not worm unless you have worms. I advise you don't get worms in the first place by good flock management practices.

Are you sure it's mites and not feather lice? Either way you'll need to dust all the birds. I dust the house floor before adding clean shavings (when I introduce new birds) and I never use hay. Some say straw is okay.
If you free range or they are on ground in the same pen or area they can pick up worms. Earth worms are host for some worms, like gape worm. You'll know if you get them and the hard part is not just any wormer works.
Young birds are most vunerable. Adding birds from other people could bring in worms. Good idea to isolate, worm and dust adult
birds before adding them into your flock. Worming doesn't add any stress, I don't use it often, once a year with a follow up a month later but not to birds laying eggs we eat. Safe Gaurd is a good wormer.

Well...had another hen die today...I should add that we just introduced 4 hens to our flock of 3, they went through the proper quarantine period and precautions, however like a ding dong I failed to remember out 3 hens had cocci in the past...wondering if thats why 2 of the new hens died. They sort of just started floundering and sittin around and not wanting to do much and after a few days they died....like a brick to the head(can I play the baby brain card here??) I realized maybe it was cocci. So they are on corrid now...after the appropriate amount of time/treatment, I will then worm them. Does what I described sound like cocci?? Our first go round with the originals was a no brainer..bloody poop..cleared right up with corrid. I have had chikens for years but am feeling like a crappy farmer who knows nothing =/

Back
Top Bottom