Can I be sure my chickens aren't "starving" if they don't eat all their pellets off the ground?

I have the least waste out of the feeder in the picture Lolita posted. Hanging it keeps the feet out and the fins in the trough prevents billing out.

Those feeders, as shown, have proved to be worst for me. Just goes to show how different folks report different results.
Truer words were never spoken. Everything said here has to be taken with a grain of salt.
That said, feed level is adjustable in them and I think I just found the right hang height and level.
There were times I would get feed on the ground but for the last few months I never see any.

HI i had similar problem with feeding. My girls wont eat pellets they like mash. I was putting it on plates and most of it ended up on the floor and trodden in to the dirt in their run.

Now I have bought myself really cheaply a large deep round plant saucer. Its plastic and it is brilliant. The girls are now full every morning no mess on the floor and they dont come running to me for food until the afternoon now so they must not have been getting all they needed. The problem was one chicken my red hampshire who likes to scratch all her food onto the floor lol.

Its the best £1.60 I have spent since getting them lol.

Peace wonderful peace lol.

Something like this, but mine is a bit deeper. http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/acatalog/Round_Plant_Saucers_-_Gun_Metal.html

The problem is though if you use pellets they just would sit in it i expect lol.

I bought a galvanised pellet feeder with a rain cap that works well for them as they cant sit on it, and the rain cant get in, and it actually fills the lip slowly as they eat out of it. I use it for their afternoon treats corn, maize and stuff.

I wouldnt worry about them not eating enough they will soon tell you. I think my girls are fat lol. I am amazed my buff orpington can get into her house. I am getting lovely eggs every day 4 mostly some are double yolkers so I am must be doing something right. I would think your girls will start to lay end february. Mine were well into 26 weeks before they started to lay and the buff orpington was 28weeks old.

Mind you she is the one who lays the most now.

I tell you what there is nothing like a fresh egg.

Good luck. It is a pain this feeding business as most things they seem to make a mess in lol.

Back
Top Bottom