Can I breed an EE roo with white leghorns?

ohnoicantfly

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Canada
Hi! I plan on hatching some chicks soon, and was wondering if breeding white leghorns with an EE roo is a bad idea? I mean, would people buy them? Are there any advantages to mixing these breeds? I also have EE hens and some ISA brown hens. I have 3 that are maybe Rhode Island reds, but most likely not.

Potentially they could lay more than the EE you started with but still have colored eggs (if the rooster carries the gene and passes it on). Mixed with a brown layer you’d get brown or green; mixed with a white layer you’d get blue or white. Again, assuming he has a blue egg gene himself.

Many people prefer easter eggers that look like ameraucanas though, so if the new genes water that down too much people might not be a fan.

If you have any barred hens AND your rooster is NOT BARRED, you might have a chance at sex-linked chicks. Being able to guarantee pullets, especially pullets who lay colored eggs, would increase your market a lot. But check in with niclandia or mysterychicken or one of our other genetics experts first…but I would be very intrigued by the concept. I think you’d want to keep and raise a few first to confirm that they are successfully sex-linked and be able to show people what they’re getting. After that, you could market hatching eggs or chicks with the photos you took of the first batch.

Back
Top Bottom