Can I bring my month old coturnix quail chicks outside to "play"?

MelissaRose

R.I.P. Lissie
6 Years
Apr 15, 2018
Maine
Hello all!
I have four, month- five week old coturnix quail chicks and I am wondering if I can bring them outside to play. I usually bring my chicken chicks outside when they're about two weeks old and I sit with them and let them scratch in the grass and find bugs etc.
Can I do the same thing with my quail?
Right now they are living inside in a brooder. They are going to move outside sometime soon when we finish their hutch. I thought it might be good for them to get used to outside and I bet they would enjoy hunting for bugs. If I don't have a cage and I just bring them out and sit next to them like I do with my chicks, will they just run/fly away?
Thanks in advance.

That's not a very good idea-you'll probably never see them again. I don't suggest letting them out unless you are positive you can catch them again afterwards (a net is helpful). Coturnix sure can fly!

Personally I would not allow my quail to be outdoors without a cage, they are FAST little buggers! Unless you’ve really tamed these birds, it’s highly likely you won’t be able to catch them and they will fly or run off to be gotten by predators.

That's not a very good idea-you'll probably never see them again. I don't suggest letting them out unless you are positive you can catch them again afterwards (a net is helpful). Coturnix sure can fly!
Ok, thanks for the advice. I'd rather not lose them because they are pets and will be egg layers.
Personally I would not allow my quail to be outdoors without a cage, they are FAST little buggers! Unless you’ve really tamed these birds, it’s highly likely you won’t be able to catch them and they will fly or run off to be gotten by predators.
No, I have not tamed them very much and they run away from me when they escape in the house so....I guess I better not bring them outside.

Back
Top Bottom